The Tasmanian branch of the Australian Lace Guild aims to encourage and develop all forms of lacemaking. As a State we meet regulary each year as each group hosts a State Day. Each state day rounds up lace makers from all over the state to catch up with the host group supplying dinner. Traders are invited and Sales are always popular. Ulverstone begins the year in March. Launceston follows up in July and hosts the State AGM and Hobart finishs the year in Sept or Oct (depending on when the church can be booked) They are always great days where friends catch up and stories are shared. It is always nice to also see what project everyone else has on their pillow.
Tasmanian Lace makers pull together to demonstrate at local shows, the Quilt Fair when it is here, The Embroiderers Guild Weekend and for the last few years we have been demonstrating at the Deloraine Craft Fair held each year over the Nov Long Weekend. The State Committee calls for volunteers and it is wonderful to see Lace makers from all over Tasmania pulling together to make sure we had at lest 3 demonstraters for each of the four days. This year was quite exciting for we were in a different venue this year. A try pillow with a snake on it was put out and barely a moment was seen that somebody was not trying it out. Kids love having a go, and a few adults also had a go and even some of the other stall holders came to have a go. The ABC Radio took an interest in us and invited us to talk about lace on live radio which was very exciting.
Regular Meetings are held each month in:
- Hobart ~ 1st Saturday of each month-~ Church of Christ, 30 Holland Court, Howrah.
- Launceston ~ 4th Saturday of each month (except December) ~ RSL, 313 Welllington Street, South Launceston. 10.30am to 2.30pm
- North West ~ 1st Saturday of each month ~ Ulverstone High School (Walker Street entrance)
Various groups also get together for social days to enjoy friendship over lace and lunch.
(drop in and say hello)
- Tailrace Cafe Lace ~ 1st Wednesday of each month (Except January) ~ Tailrace Centre, 1 Waterfront Drive, Riverside
- Villarett Lace Makers ~ 2nd Tuesday of each Month (venue closes over winter) ~ 789 Railton Road, Kimberley, TAS 7304
- Two Oaks ~ Any Thursday from 10.30 to 2-3pm (excluding Holidays) ~ 15235 Bass Hwy, Somerset TAS 7322